Sunday, September 24, 2006

What the...?

Not many things freak me out. I am generally pretty even keeled. I did find out months ago that I am apparently scared of squirrels. I don't mind squirrels running and frolicking about outside but, when squirrels get in my house and run inches in front of me I have been known to drop my child and run. I'm not proud of it, but it's true.

Saturday, I discovered another fear. Spiders. Big, enormous spiders in my house. (I'm noticing the trend: creatures that should not be IN MY HOUSE!)

So, Saturday I went into my room to find a pair of pants for Jack to wear. I had a load of clean clothes folded in a laundry basket in my room. I picked a shirt off the top of the pile and thought to myself, "I don't remember the boys having a big, fake, plastic spider." For a fleeting second, I thought about picking it up.... then it moved. Just writing about it makes me squirm. I did not scream. I had a small panic attack but I did not verbalize it at this point. I did what all rational women do: I called my husband... who was at work. I told him there was a "freaking enormous" spider in our house. He told me to kill it. It was at that moment that I knew I had to keep this spider alive. No one would ever believe how big this thing was unless I could keep it alive. I grabbed a plastic cup. I calmly walked back in the room. It was still there. I mustered up the courage to throw/place the cup over it. It jumped when I did which is when I realized how fast it had the potential to be. I worked the cup over so only one item of clothing was underneath it. I sweetly called Max to bring me the rubbermaid tub that his toys go in right now. Grant follows Max in the room to see what is going on. More courage... I got my hand under the burp rag that was under the cup and literally threw them in the tub and slammed the lid on top. It is at this point that I screamed. The boys think this is hilarious and still don't really know what is going on. It was like an adrenaline rush and I couldn't stop screaming. It was the kind of scream where your whole body shakes with the "heeby jeebies" at the same time. The thing was freaking huge and nasty with all it's beady little eyes.



















Nate took this picture after he released it outside last night. I asked him to drive it out to the country. Instead, he chose the cul-de-sac right smack in front of our house! Max suggested just spraying it with bug spray. I think it would take more than one can. Can you imagine what it would feel like to step on something like this? Yuck. It would ruin your shoe.

Sick. I hate big nasty spiders in my house.

3 comments:

Drew Caperton said...

OK, I believe you when you say the spider was big, but the photo gives no reference. Was it as big as a quarter? a baby? a beached whale? Give me an approximation here.

John Nelson said...

All I know is that I am a complete and utter useless glob of fear when it comes to spiders! I actually call Allison when I see spiders.

In fact, just reading your post and seeing the picture makes me weak in the knees.

Thanks for scaring the hell out of me first thing Monday morning. I appreciate it.

Sarah said...

It was roughly 4 inches from front leg to back leg... it's abdomen was probably 1.5 inches. Not a tarantula but still big and nasty.