Nate has bad ears. I always make fun of him because he's the only adult I know to still get ear infections... (except for Jenny Beth... and Allison...)
This summer his ear was really bothering him so he went to the doctor and got some medicine for his allergies to help with drainage. His ear started ringing and he was having trouble hearing out of it. I told him he probably had high-frequency hearing loss because the music at the Grove is so loud :)
His doctor referred him to an ENT (ear, nose and throat doctor) to check out the ringing. He passed the hearing tests but the ENT referred him for an MRI to rule out a tumor putting pressure on his cochlea that might be causing the ringing.
I told Nate if he had a tumor at least that might exlain why his head is so big.
We found out last week that Nate does have a tumor. It is located at the base of his skull and sinuses near his pituitary gland. Basically, right smack in the middle of his head. The doctor said it is about 2 cm in diameter. Last Thursday he had a CT scan done and Tuesday he is having a biopsy. He may have had this for a while... or it could be new growth. We won't know until after the biopsy. Nate will be completely out for the biopsy which is good because they stick the big scope through his nose!
Nate's afraid they'll realize the 2 cm "tumor" is actually his brain and the huge mass around it is the abnormality. Now, when Nate acts like a "bone-head" he uses the tumor as an excuse. Or, if he is in bed and wants some advil he can't get up because he has a tumor. It's like what I did with pregnancy. Paybacks....
Monday, September 25, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment