Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Hospital Week

The last week of 2009 was spent surrounded by medical professionals.

Nate had his gall bladder out and looked dead sexy sporting this manly gown, I must say.

Then, not to be outdone, Grant ended up in the ER on New Year's Eve. I had been out somewhere and got home to him crying and not moving his arm. Nate said he'd been playing outside and got knocked over by Harley (our oversized, undertrained puppy). The boys had been on the trampoline and Jack got off. Harley spotted the small subject and started to make a mad dash toward him to "play". G spotted the iminent danger his little brother was in so called Harley toward himself, instead. Harley could barely contain his excitment and jumped up on G to show his puppy love. Grant was laid out on the ground which brings us back to G crying and not moving his arm. Of course, this happened late afternoon on New Year's Eve so the doctor's office was already closed. Since G isn't one to cry continuously for no reason and since he wasn't moving his arm (which was somewhat alarming) we opted for the ER.

Once G and I got there we got all checked in and were waiting for a room when G's arm suddenly started working again. He was playing the DS without any problem and reaching for thing. The only time he flinched was when he tried to scoot himself back on the chair. He had stopped crying, too. Then we got called back to take his vitals and assess his pain on a scale of 1-10. I'm thinking, "We're in the ER. He had better be at least an 8." 2. He pointed to the little happy face with a 2. I started apologizing to the nurses blubbering on about how at home he was unconsolable, etc. They just gave a little smile and nodded like, "Yeah, we've heard it all before, lady."

He finally gets a room in the back area of non-emergencies. Now he's acting just downright silly. He's laughing, spinning around on the chair, looking in all the cabinets. I'm starting to worry that all the ER people are going to think I have Munchhousen's.

A nurse finally came and took him for an x-ray. We went back to our holding cell and waited for the doctor to tell us the results. I'm already thinking this kid is going to be in BIG trouble for being so dramatic and faking an injury. Dr. Vickery came and called us to the computer to show us G's bones. He said, "Well, it's broken." I think my response might have sounded a little too excited, "Really?!" He showed us the break then pointed to another area and said, "It's broken here, too." Now my mother guilt fills me and I think I was about to lay into G for faking it and he's broken all over! Then Dr. Vickery smiled and said, "Just kidding. That's just his growth plate."So after Grant shared some homemade beef jerky with the doctor, he left the ER sporting what he named his "jet pack" (aka. figure 8 sling).


Bad dog, Harley.

No comments: