Sunday, November 09, 2008

Sweet Dreams

After 30 (yes 30) years our mattress has finally been replaced. My parents got a new mattress right before Nate and I got married so they offered us their old one until we could afford a new one. Little did we know it would be 9 years (and even now it was with significant help from my parents as our Christmas present)! It served us well but is long past due a trip to the dump. Here is our new and very tall mattress that doesn't cave in the middle.
During a little mattress shopping one of the salesmen asked me how long we'd been married and if our mattress could stand on it's own. He assumed when I told him we'd been married right under 9 years that that's how old our mattress was. I didn't have the heart to correct him and risk him having a heart attack but I did tell him that most assuredly our mattress could not stand on it's own. I stopped short of telling him that I was pretty sure I could fold our mattress in half like a taco. Apparently, if your mattress can't stand up on it's own it's "dead". Ours probably needed a funeral before it came to us...
(For the record, I think with some help I might have been able to roll the mattress up like a burrito. The box springs even folded a little which I'm pretty sure explains some of the lower back pain I've been having.)
The boys think having the old mattress and box springs propped up on the back porch is the greatest thing ever. If I'd only known I'd have waited and given it to them as a Christmas present. They run up it as if they are mountain climbing and when it falls they jump on it like a trampoline. This is recycling at it's best.

1 comment:

Georgia said...

Kurt and I, also, had a nameless number of years mattress we got from his grandparents once we decided my full mattress from my childhood was too small in order for us to stay married. We treated ourselves when we moved to C-town to get a new mattress. It is amazing what a new mattress that was bought after the Reagan era does for your sleep at night. Get a babysitter (aka grandparent) to keep the boys one night and sleep all morning long on your new bundle of love.