Saturday, November 01, 2008

Festive Treats

My mom always made holidays special starting with breakfast. I've tried to continue the tradition with my own swing on things. For example, Mom used to make us cream-of-wheat for breakfast with orange food coloring in it. I, of course, opted for sugary donuts with orange sprinkles.
The boys were not impressed. Max tried wiping off all the sprinkles and Grant complained that the donuts were wet. (I also cut Max's PBJ in his lunch out with a bat cookie cutter which I'm sure mortified him but I thought it was clever)

YEARS ago Whitney and I used to make some rockin' caramel apples. This year I tried bringing them back. I forgot how much I enjoyed a good caramel apple. (FYI-the very best caramel apples are sold at a little shop in Greendale, Wisconsin. I don't remember the name of the shop but those apples were enormous and wonderful. My aunt and uncle sent one to Nate when he graduated from college and I just might have shed a tear when it was gone.)

2 comments:

Kelli said...

I have been craving a caramel apple this fall!!! Those look amazing! You need to email me directions on how to make some!

Anonymous said...

i love the idea of starting holidays with a festive breakfast. those are the memories that they'll talk about with their own kids one day.