Monday, January 19, 2009

seriously

Last night started out like a normal Sunday night. The boys were in the bathtub. Nate was watching the Steelers. I was doing laundry and making Nate a fun football snack. Then....

Max started yelling, "Dad! There's water all over the bathroom floor but we didnt' do it!"

Nate ran back to find water POURING our from under the toilet. It was already about an inch deep covering the entire bathroom floor quickly making it's way into the hallway. He turned off the water to the toilet and we looked at each other dumbfounded. I sloshed through the hall to find towels and my phone to call RotoRooter. Yep, the water line leading to our house was clogged (for the record, this happens about once a year. The difference this time was there was no warning. Usually we'll have a gurgling toilet and know things are getting blocked up. Last night the flood gates were opened without any indication). So, the RotoRooter man came, cleaned out the pipe and gave us the bill for the after hours charges. Why do things like this always seem to happen on Sunday nights?

Nate and I tried our best to get the water up. I used every single towel or absorbant article in our house to no avail. Nate went to borrow the Kelleys wet/dry vac and we pointed a box fan on the hall. We were not making any progress. The bottom of the dry wall in Jack's room was moist. Water was in the dining room along the base of the wall that backs up to the bathroom and out about a foot from the doorway. The baseboards in the hall were wet. We were still soaking our socks and knees while we were trying to clean it up. So I called ServPro.

While talking to the ServPro guy I asked how much it would cost. He said, "Do you have good insurance? What's your deductible?" I told him. He said, "Oh, it will definitely cost more than that. You need to file a claim."

The ServPro guys ended up cutting out the carpet in the hallway and a 2-3 foot wide strip the length of Jack's room. They ripped the padding out from under a large section of the carpet in the dining room. We currently have 6 fans blowing on the walls and under the remaining carpet as well as a dehumidifier in the hallway to suck up any excess moisture.

The ripple effect in the dining room. Kind of like ocean waves... only not calming or beautiful or relaxing.

Jack's room. Looks like a fun place to play, doesn't it?

Hallway angle #1.

Hallway angle #2.

Here we go again.

4 comments:

Kelli said...

Does it ever end at the McGooden house!? We miss you guys and all your shenanigans! :-)

Georgia said...

We are so sorry!!! Bless your little hearts.

But on a happy note, I love the wind-blown look you have going in that last picture. So Glamour magazine.

I know. That wasn't funny.

David W. Davis said...

Have you guys ever seen the movie "The Money Pit" with Tom Hanks?

David

Whitney said...

At least you guys are looking good, I mean seriously!!! The windblown look works for you.