Monday, August 20, 2007

I thought I was ready

Max went in this morning for his kindergarten screening. The neighbor kids missed the bus so we brought them to school with us. As we were dropping them off, I thought to myself, "I'm glad today is only the screening because I'm not ready to leave him here with all these big kids." We were directed down the hall to one of the kindergarten classrooms. The room was full of kids and parents. One of the teachers handed me an info paper to fill out. With a little encouragement, Max joined the other kids on the floor playing with puzzles and blocks. When I was done filling out the paper I handed it back to the teacher who then told me, "Ok. You can pick him back up between 2:00-2:30." Panic immediately hit. "What? I thought today was only a screening." She responded, "It is... an ALL DAY screening." I think I might have managed a little, "Oh." I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes. Now, I had to go break it to Max that he had to stay all day instead of just a little while (which is what I had prepped him for). His reply, "Ok, Mom. Bye." I made it to the car before the floodgates opened. As I was driving home with tears and snot streaming down my face Kim called. You know how things are even worse when you have to say them out loud for the first time? As soon as she said hi I start bawling... explaining the horrors of leaving my poor little baby at school with all those mean teachers and bully kids (I'm sure they're very nice but you never know....) This is the first time in his life that I haven't been in control of who is friends are and where he goes. I didn't prepare myself emotionally. I didn't think I'd be such a wreck but I was wrong.

Maybe, now Thursday will be a breeze and I won't humiliate Max by having to open up one of the boxes of kleenex before giving it to his teacher.

(I don't even have a picture of him to post because why would I bring my camera to take a picture of him at screening day?)

5 comments:

Megan said...

They grow up way too fast! And we're never as ready as they are for those big milestones.
I'm mostly a lurker and rarely a commenter on your blog, but I wanted to let you know that I can picture myself having the same reaction you did. I wish you had known it would be a full day screening, but I bet it would have still been hard. And who knows, maybe it would have been even harder on you because you would've had way too much time to think about leaving your baby there for a whole day!! Now, perhaps Thursday will be a little easier on your heart. I sure hope so.

Megan (Chris D.'s wife, and mom to two boys)

John Nelson said...

I'm SO sorry! That's tragic, but I'm glad Max took it well!

Lindsey said...

Oh Sarah. I got teary eyed just reading it. Is this what Mother's day out is going to be like? I'm so sorry.

Whitney said...

First thing this morning I had this sinking feeling in my stomach, exactly a year from now Wilson will be starting school. The same thing, it sounds really good, but the reality, even a year away kind of sucks. I am so sorry. Isn't it great though how they aren't even phased by it. I hope Max had a great day and I will be praying for Thursday.

Emily said...

Oh Sarah!! Maybe you were so emotional becasue you were caught off guard!? Not that it isn;t emotional, Avery's first day was last week and it was hard...but I was prepared!! I would've had the same reaction if I were caught off guard....I wasn;t a mess though..she has been talking about this for WEEKS so I was so excited for her, it was easy for me to let her go.